Barrie G. Broughton KC, TEP
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Wills, Estates, & Trusts
- Mediation Levels 1 & 2, Alberta Arbitration and Mediation Society (1996)
- In-Depth Tax Course, Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (1983)
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Alberta (1978)
- Bachelor of Arts - Economics, University of Alberta (1975)
professional associations & current involvement
- Law Society of Alberta, Member (1979-present)
- Lethbridge Bar Association, Member & Past President and Director
- Canadian Bar Association, Member & Former Council Representative
- Society of Trust and Estate Planners, Member
- Surrogate Rules Advisory Committee, Member (2011-2014)
- Canadian Association of Farm Advisors (CAFA), Member (2006-2015)
- Canadian Tax Foundation, Member
Barrie was born in Lethbridge but grew up in Calgary, Alberta and attended the University of Alberta for his undergraduate and law degrees. Barrie moved back and joined the North & Company team in 1983 with his family. Working with North & Company, Barrie has enjoyed his career largely in part due to the great clients and co-workers here. Barrie primarily practices business law, estate planning, and tax matters, where he strives to positively impact his clients' lives. Throughout his career, Barrie has been involved with various boards and organizations in Southern Alberta, such as the Alberta Law Society, the Legal Education Society, and the Surrogate Rules Committee. Now Barrie is focused on developing the next generation at the firm as he enters his grandparent years.
Barrie enjoys all kinds of sports and the arts outside the firm. Barrie is very musical and continues to play guitar all over Southern Alberta with his band Steel Cut. Barrie has incorporated his hobbies well with the firm through past sponsorship of the Lethbridge Jazz Festival and Steel Cut's performance at the North & Company Street Wheelers weekend BBQ.
Barrie works from the Chancery Court office in downtown Lethbridge.