Dr. Suzanne B. Sjovold
- Industrial Design
- Strategic Intellectual Property Services
- Licensing & Transactional Services
- International Services
- Juris Doctor, University of Alberta (2006)
- Doctorate of Philosophy, Neuroscience, University of Alberta
- Bachelor of Science, Neuroscience, University of Alberta (1999)
- Registered Canadian Patent Agent
- Registered Canadian Trademark Agent
professional association & current involvement
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, Member
- Board Chair, Integrated Agriculture Technology Centre (IATC), Lethbridge College
- Expert Advisor, LifeSciences Innovation Hub, Innovate Calgary, University of Calgary
- Appointed to the University of Lethbridge Senate
- Expert Advisor Intellectual Property and Spring Technology Expert Program, Fort McMurray-Wood Buffalo Economic Development & Tourism
tEACHING & pRESENTATIONS
- Intellectual Property for Business, Micro-Credential Course, Dhillon School of Business and Agility, University of Lethbridge (in progress, Fall 2022)
- Panel Speaker, STEM Fusion Event, University of Lethbridge (April 2021, Spring 2022)
- Ask-A-Lawyer – IP and All Things Business, Economic Development Lethbridge (April 2021)
- Fireside Chat, Building a Business Support Team; Finance Café, Women Entrepreneurs-in-Stem Program (March 2021)
- Co-Founder Agreements and Legalities for Start-Ups, 2021 Trailblazing Cohort, University of Lethbridge (January 2021)
- IP 101 Presentation, Portfolio and Music Industry Course, Department of Music, University of Lethbridge (annual)
Suzanne combines her technical background in Neuroscience with 15 years of intellectual property (IP) legal experience to effectively develop and manage her clients’ IP assets. As a registered patent and trademark agent, Suzanne’s practice is focused on clients in the life sciences space, including those involved in novel medical devices, chemical compounds, biologics, and pharmaceuticals. Suzanne also assists clients with protecting mechanical devices, clean energy technologies, and new technologies in the oil and gas sector. Additionally, Suzanne provides clients with legal opinions on patentability, trademark registration, freedom-to-operate, due diligence analysis, and IP portfolio management. Suzanne’s clients include a broad range of early-stage and established companies and post-secondary institutions.
Suzanne grew up in Lethbridge and attended the University of Lethbridge, earning a Bachelor of Science in Neuroscience. After completing her Ph.D. in Neuroscience at the University of Alberta, Suzanne attended law school at the U of A with an aim to practice intellectual property, bridging the gap between the scientific and legal spheres. Prior to joining North & Company, Suzanne was a partner at a regional law firm where she was the head of one of the largest intellectual property groups in Western Canada.
Suzanne feels very fortunate to be back in Southern Alberta, surrounded by her extended family. When Suzanne’s not in the office, she spends every spare moment downhill skiing or mountain biking in Fernie with her husband Travis and their two daughters.
Suzanne works from the Chancery Court office in downtown Lethbridge.